Saturday 18 June 2016

One foot in and one foot out

If you've managed to accidentally land on this post, boy are you lucky! You will probably never find a resident of Norway who is quite like me.  I am a 100% permanent resident of Norway. But I do not have Norwegian citizenship. This is by choice of course. I have lived here about 20 years and while I consider this question annually, and have actually paid too much money to apply to have Norwegian citizenship, I have never gone through with the process. At the same time, I have no intentions of leaving this country. I am Canadian by birth, and though Canada is also one of the top countries to live in globally speaking, I still have a better life here.

But living in this country is quirky, to say the least. Even though I have lived almost half of my life in this country at this point, even though I am fully integrated and speak the language fluently I often run back and forth between experiences that have me exclaim, "Oh my gosh! I am so lucky to be alive and being right here, right now, in this time!" and experiences that have me shake my head and say to myself, "What am I doing here?"

All in all, it's still 90% positive, which is more than many people can say all over the world.

This blog intends to be filled with small posts about the wonderful strangeness that I see around me every day. It entertains me, in any case. Perhaps it will entertain you as well.

Oh yes - every blog post needs a picture - here is the first picture of my first post.


Two weeks ago we drove to Geilo, which is almost right in the middle of Norway. To get there from the west coast of Norway, Hadangervidden needs to be passed, which is a super high plateau. Even though it was the first weekend in June, snow was still plenty abundant. I even saw two cross-country skiiers in the distance, trying to make a final go of it. The snow does disappear most summers, and this will no doubt be even more true as global warming continues, but it never disappears for long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment